Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rocker Boxes... Part two

In November I started posting pictures of The Locust Build and planned on laying out the entire build from start to finish. I got busy or maybe I should say lazy... anyway... I put it by the wayside. I plan on starting back up and hopefully I will keep up with it this time. The last post was about shaping the Rocker Boxes. After I had the shape I was looking for I continued by engraving some girly flowery scroll into them to make them a bit more elegant. This is how I went about that.



After shaping.




I busted out the sharpie and doodled until I had something I was comfertable with.



I didn't have the first clue about engraving so I went to the local Farm & Fleet and picked myself up a tool engraver. This machine resembles a tattoo gun and will mark the shit out of your piece but it is a bit crude. You can definitely "engrave" something into aluminum with a bit of time and patience but the type of engraving I envisioned was crisp, deep and had lots of detail.



Remember.... after you have completed one you have to start one the next.



This is where I was able to get with the Tool Engraver.





I then decided to upgrade the Tool Engraver to and Dremel Tool with a Flex Shaft. I was able to get more detail with the Dremel using versious different bits.


I was able to get a decent amount of detail with the Dremel Tool but still wasn't completely satisfied but figured I would go ahead and polish the rocker box anyway.





At this point my Dad got me some hand gravers for my birthday and I found that for my technique they worked by far the best for getting the detail I was looking for. I went in and cleaned everything to my liking.



After some more sanding, polishing and fine tuning this is the final product.

11 comments:

Chris said...

Nice!

hdferg said...

I missed it. When did you post part one? Can you show us what tools that you used please? Oh ya, really cool stuff. Can't wait to see more.

hdferg said...

Found it. nov 2009

T1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T1 said...

damn i'm sure that tool engraver made your hand go numb! hahaha bad ass work though!!

Sethro said...

the first couple steps looked like it may be a bit discouraging , but man josh, i really dig the finished product...go nuts on em man..

Guy@GK said...

Organik!

grant said...

I think the neatest part is the sculpted middle section that ties the two halfs together, sweet.

Stone said...

Those are fuckin' beauty.

OneShotKustoms said...

amazing homie!!!!!!!!!

Sin City Sucka said...

Nice job dude, those are lookin sick!