Thursday, June 4, 2009

Gravel roads and a setting sun

It doesn't matter how busy I am..... I always make it a point to hop on the bike and ride into the setting sun. A hard ridden solo run on the most deserted roads I can find. I've gotten bored with the paved roads in my area. Deklab County is set up in a grid of corn and bean fields and the roads follow the grid. 90 percent of them are straight and when you hit the end, there's a 90 degree turn. So I ride what gravel is left. It's fun and in the spring they are quite unpredictable.



I've been having really vivid dreams this past week. A few days ago I dreamed that I was headed down this road, only I was traveling in the opposite direction. It was pitch black and just after the lonely silo I rolled up on a rolled over car. It flipped about a hundred feet into the field. The first was a teenage boy but all I could see were his legs, face up with the roof the car laying on the upper half of his body. The blood ran like a river in the rut of the tractor tire that recently planted corn there. I followed the river of blood to two females one laying face up and the other laying face down. It was one of those dreams where you wake up have to decide if what just happened was real or just a dream.

I figured I'd check that spot out. I didn't stop........ just passed by at 85 mph.

The next day I had a nightmare were I was roofied, shaved then dropped at my front door. Both the UPS and FedX men delivered packages that day and left them lying next to me. That's a whole other story I wont get into.





Snake Road was pretty narly. They must have just recently layed down new gravel. It was extremely hard to keep the bike up at any speed. It crosses the same set of tracks three times. I like to jump one of the crossings Dukes of Hazzard style!

5 comments:

lifeisfuct-diekruzen HEAVY KLOTHING said...

THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT MAN. AS FAR AS ROOFIE'S GO... HAVE YOU EVER COME TO IN A TAXI CAB WITH A BUNNY FURBIE SUIT ON? I WON'T GO INTO THAT...

Joe said...

I'm from Illinois, and that brings lots of deep seated memories back. Having been out of the midwest for a while, I realize there is absolutley nothing like the sunsets over the flat land in the Summer. Its one the most beautiful and peaceful scene I can imagine. And blasting through those back roads, just clearing your head, its like zen meditation. Thanks man.

B Harlow said...

the speedo says your moving pretty good for gravel roads.

Kid Kurpius said...

hey..... you can't be fuck'n around..... just lock the throttle all the way back.


Remember i was also taking a picture all the while.

Mitch Cotie said...

Man I'm gonna end up staring at that first picture all fuckin day long.