Sunday, January 24, 2010

1964 Panshovel


On my last trip out to California I ran into some friends from Milwaukee at an art show. My friend Casey is actually a designer at Harley Davidson and helped design the vary bike that Harley sent me out there to test ride. Anyway... he was with his friend Corey and we were all bullshitting about this and that. Then Corey says "I have a Panshovel I am looking to get rid of." I was like... "yeah... That would be killer but I can even begin to touch something like that right now." I told him I would let a few people know about it.
It turns out Harley Davidson treated me really well and this Panshovel wasn't so far out of reach. Corey didn't speak very highly of his panshovel. He warned me that the framed was hacked up a bit and the motor would most likely need a top end job because it would barely run. He wasn't asking a whole lot of money for it so I had him send me some pictures.

GOT DAMN..... it looked like the perfect base to build off of. My wet dream would be to have a Genni shovel but the are hard to come by so I figured I'd put a slab side cam cover on it to make it look like one.... but it was ready there.... bonus!

I finally got my dollars together and headed up to Milwaukee this weekend to see it in person. Bacon and I drove up to West Bend where it was sitting. Bacon told me not to worry if it needed to be rebuilt.... because he could have it rebuilt in a few days. That sick bastard can build these motors in his sleep... the kid has the sickness too. Anyway I traded some cash for a tittle and loaded it up.

As we got back to the shop Warren had just finished up unloading his Knucklehead purchase. We squeezed it past his pile of knucklehead parts and took a look at it. The distributor seemed fucked up so Warren tossed us one from his pile. It would started but popped, spit and farked like a mother fucker. So we checked the spark... turns out it was just a fowled out spark plug. BAM! With in thirty minutes we had her running like a top! I even took her for a quick ride down the street.







The plan is to quickly change some things around on this bike to make it look decent and finish The Locust while I ride this..... Then when the Locust is done this will get blasted apart and done up right. Nothing crazy.... just an all business machine.

16 comments:

TwistyMcFisty said...

Damn bro...looks like a fun-ass project! Score me one!

Michael said...

Will you be riding your new panshovel to bf deuce?

MIKE BUZZ said...

Man I wish I had a panshuv!! Josh you are the man!!!

Nick said...

Congrats Josh! That thing is ruling.

B Harlow said...

looking sharp. keep the purple

all50before50 said...

Outstanding score Josh!

robert hernandez said...

Nice !! i like it.. cant wait to ride the Pinner out this summer to check out, these finds...

ZZ chop said...

winter adrenaline ride!
nice score!

binky666 said...

great catch! ket me know if you get rid of those bars!

Throwback said...

Your a lucky dog indeed.

WisconsinWillard said...

Keep in contact with Corey, he's always able to pull stuff out of left field(cars or bikes). He's the king of "yea I wound up talking to this guy who had this sittin in his basement", or "yea I know a guy who knows a guy" type shit.

motoguru. said...

you're scoring all the good ones lately!

Anonymous said...

kkkkk.... KILLER!

Peej said...

Dude, if you don't keep the purple, please email bagadonutts a pic of the stripes. I have no record of it and would like to have a pic for the old portfolioliolio. Thanks.
-Peej

Kid Kurpius said...

Thanks guys.... I'm so stroked to be in the Big twin club now. The deal just keeps getting sweeter. She's a one kick bike and I got rid of all the bondo in the neck and the castings are pretty much all there for the most part.

This may be the bike I ride to the Born Free show. I'm still trying to figure that all out because I have to shoot a wedding in Italy the following week.

Mike.... you had a panshovel.. but you traded it for an ironhead.... weirdo. But that's cool I wish I had you Pan and Knucklehead.

The Purple is going away... black is coming in. And PeeJ I'll send some pics to Bag O donuts.

Binky666 I may be interested in getting rid of those bars but a few people are interested... what's your email?

Yeah... I got Kory's number on Speed dail.... he is a great guy.

Just keep yours ears to the floor and you'll find'm too.

thanks guys!

binky666 said...

kid i just sent you a email!