Monday, May 25, 2009

Giovanni Natale "John" Buscema (December 11, 1927–January 10, 2002)


Back when I was around 12 years old, in Wheat Ridge, Colorado, I started to get into comics. I would almost exclusively read anything drawn by John Buscema. He opened a whole new world to me after I had been smitten by the artwork of Frank Frazetta. In comics, John Buscema struck a cord with me that kept me buying these rags over and over.

After researching, my buddies and I started hitting the pawn shops and old book stores, throughout Denver, for the old stuff he had done.Much to my surprise he had his fingers in damn near all of the old "Savage Sword of Conan" mags. Some of my favorite issues held graceful collaborations with other artists, Ernie Chan and Alfredo Alcala .




Happy Memorial Day

No comments: