Saturday, October 16, 2010

Locust Star

It's funny how certain music fits a season. There are groups or bands that you will listen to frequently at times and not so much at others. Like scent..... certain tones provoke memories connecting a band or a song to a particular place, time, mindset, feeling or perhaps a group of long forgotten friends. I suppose age has a lot to do with this. When fall rolls around I find myself losing my mind to Neurosis on many dark nights. It brings me back to my senior year of high school. I had a 1963 Ford Galaxie. My favorite thing to do was get lost on gravel roads at one in the morning with only the company of the moon. Autumn was always my favorite for night adventures..... windows down, cold air, a warm hoodie, a huge steering wheel and headphones because all I had was a AM radio with one speaker in the dash. I'd often turn off my headlights on clear nights..... a look in the rearview revealed a freight train of dust. Neurosis always brings me back to this place.





Brad has recently tuned me on to Steve Von Till's solo records. So different from Neurosis yet very much the same.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Neurosis are too good to be real, me and my brother used to sit in his room and listen to them in the middle of the night, too hot to even move because that's how the desert night went. If you haven't heard them you should check out Ahab, it's German doom metal, all the lyrics and themes are based off Moby Dick, and it's some of the most crushing stuff I've ever heard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I84762UVKSg

Help said...

bright winter night, turn out the lights and roll till the sun comes up.......im sure every midwest rock road traveler has filled the car with smoke and hit the lights a time or two......colds not so bad...