Thursday, April 1, 2010

Locust oil tank.

In my opinion sportsters are just spatially weird when it comes to oil tank, battery box and rear fender area. The seat/rear motor post always seems to be in the way. I wanted something that looked more like a big twin so I made this horse shoe style tank to cover up the rear down tube.

I started by making a template out of card stock.

Templates turned to steal.

Tack, Tack, Tack all the way around.

Return, vent and filler bungs welded in. I turned some more bungs on the lathe to mount the tank to the frame.

Making clearance for the chain.

3 comments:

MattM said...

Beautiful, Sportsters are awkward in that area and this is fantastic solution. Inspiring!

Unknown said...

BEAU TRAVAIL, JE RESTE ADMIRATIF !!

Rudder & Chris B. said...

Success!