The "Rotton Randy" Tank as I got it.
I started by getting rid of all the paint and bondo then marking what I planned to cut out. He narrowed more in the front than in the back so I narrowed it some more in the back.
The two halves waiting to be tacked. Up until this point I had only welded on thick steel. The first thing I did was blow a few nice size holes in my tank. But it was alright because I planned on cutting out the middle anyway.
After narrowing it a little more I cleaned the metal on the inside of the tank and added to the bottom front to give me more fuel capacity.
I pounded out the flat spot in the top of the tank and doodled in a design for the top of my tank
I cut the bottom they way I wanted it and welded in the bottom tunnel section.
I then bent some round rod in an organic fashion and welded it to the tank.
Torched out the middle.
I didn't know the first thing about shaping metal. I wanted the middle to be dished so this is what I came up with. Two plywood templates some bolts and a little heat dished my sheet metal nicely. The heat alone did most of the dishing for me.